Thou shalt not kill
1. The reference from this commandment are taken from verse in Exodus:
13 “You shall not murder. (NIV Exodus 20:13)
A direct commandment from the Bible.
2. Before we go any further, let we understand the word, murder. In Oxford dictionary stated the meaning of murder as:
noun - (1) the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another:
verb – (1) kill (someone) unlawfully and with premeditation:
Both noun and verb have a similar condition to determined the word “murder”. This condition are (1) premeditation (2) unlawful. It only applied to human being with term and condition to be meet. It sound like “taking one life” are allowed when term and condition are being meet. Even, it sound “cruel”, it more straight, honest and truthful.
3. Another word that we should consider is “kill”. In Oxford dictionary stated the meaning of kill as:
verb – (1) cause the death of (a person, animal, or other living thing) : (2) put an end to or cause the failure or defeat of (something)
noun – (1) an act of killing, especially of one animal by another:
The word kill is more general and applied to human being and animals without any term and condition. This is considering an absolute “blood shed are not allowed at any condition”. If the Christian who prefer to use this word “kill, he should be a vegetarian, if not, he just joke with his religion. Even, it was a declaration of “peace”, it was hypocrite statement.
4. I remember talking to a friend who are Buddhist that have similar idea where he think “blood shed are not allowed in any condition”. The conversation held in dining table while eating all kind of meats and fishes. He said to me, “I think slaughtering animal is cruel and not civilize”. The I reply, “You are currently eating red meats”. He reply, “It OK, as long we don’t killed it”. My Muslim friend who sit next to me, notice my intention from my reply are to corner him right away and he (Muslim’s friend) glare to me to end the conversation.
5. From the conversation, I do understand that, even people said “blood shed are not allowed in any condition”. They will justify the sentence in proxy system. It mean, if other people kill animal for him, he himself is are not a killer. He is correct, he not hold any knife or slaughtering any animal, but everyone know that he is supporting the action of killing the animal by eating it. He manipulating the sentence to justify his action.
6. Before this, I never notice the different between this 2 words in English. Referring to biblehub, both word are being used in the interpretation or translation. From this explanation, we can understand how a similar word change the meaning and interpretation of the verse.
7. Before that, we should question people who said they are pacifist. What they mean if the condition happen as below.
When some ruler are killing the innocent people without any reason. What should pacifist do? Stand still and do nothing or shout “Don’t kill innocent man” in public?
A killer threat to kill you in event of robbery. In defense of our life, what you should do?
A lunatic want to rape your daughter or yourself. Are you have a right to defense yourself with any mean?
Above is sometime called as accidental or defense killing, and it was not classify as murder in any law in the world.
7. In today world, we always heard that “Western are Pacifist”, “European are Peaceful People”, and “Islam is Terrorist”. Let look on our history of Southeast Asia, India, Middle East, Central Asia, China, etc. Based on their history, do they are pacifist? They keep blaming each other, Christian or Atheist or Nazi. From our view (non-White, not Christian, non- Atheist), they are just the same.
8. As long as the human require or striving for power, lust, gold, luxury, etc. As long the characteristic of human are envious, malicious, wicked, and anger. Peace are just a word of worth nothing.
9. Which ever meaning that you refer: “You shall not murder.” or “You shall not kill”, without sincerity in understanding and steadfast with the verse. The verse itself is meaningless.
“Say: Indeed I have been commanded to worship Allah making the Din sincerely for Him alone.” [Al-Qur'an 39:11]